Thursday 27 March 2014

Killjoys, Jerks and Doucebags


 
 
In the past, I have written how great it is to interact with people in hobbies.  This includes strangers met at shows or conventions, or in hobby shops.  This also includes meeting people at events where you do your hobbies.  I didn't lie to you.  There are many great people in the aforementioned places.  I just wasn't entirely honest either.  Amongst the great and cool, there are a bunch of complete...hmmm, what is the right word....douche bags. 

Sorry if I offend, but someone has to candidly set the record straight.  Additionally, there are quite a few other words I contemplated using, but chose not to.  I guess I should stick with my original title and call them killjoys. 

My most recent encounter with a killjoy comes from my latest obsession-darts.  This person criticized my behaviour.  While they had some valid points, they overlooked several things.  First, I am new, and don't know all the etiquette of the darting world.  Two, rather than instruct, they chose to criticize.  Third, they chose to take their darting seriously despite being a spare player and holding me to a level of etiquette they did not afford me when I was throwing.  I followed their example.  I guess what was good enough for me, was not good enough for them.

I am not the most confrontational of people, but I am no doormat either.  I can give as good (or better) than I get.  I have lots of weapons in my arsenal, and very little restraint.  Regardless of that, basically this person ruined a good night at the oche.  I left feeling rather upset.  In conversation with other darters, they all said the same thing.  There's always one, or rather, two.  One on your team, and one on the other team.  I guess.

Basically there are some great people out there who will share their love of hobbies with you, but just like real life, there are going to be jerks out there who ruin things for you.  While this particular jerk ruined my night, they won't ruin my season.  I will continue, and if necessary stand my ground against people like that. 

Maybe in future blogs I will talk more about the archetypical jerks you can find in hobbies.  Feel free to add your own stories.

2 comments:

  1. Indeed, i know exactly what your talking about. In model railroading theres "rivet counters" although in of itself not a bad thing, if thats what they find fun, but there are some that redicule those of us that dont count rivets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind someone who is really into a hobby. However, I don't want to be remonstrated for my lack of knowledge either. Someday, I might get to that level of commitment, but it won't be because someone yelled at me.
    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete