Sunday 24 June 2012

So, you're interested in blogging...


In the past month I have encouraged several people to take up blogging.  Maybe, I would even go so far as to say I insisted that they take up blogging.  Who's kidding who, I practically harassed them.  So, this begs the question, has making other people blog become a hobby?  Not hobby, but certainly it has become a pursuit, and I really don't know why.

I started this just for a way to express myself that wasn't related to being an ESL teacher (though I am thinking about a blog on that as well).  Perhaps, I didn't realize how much I would enjoy it, how good it would feel to put my words on the page.  When I started I had no idea if it would go beyond the first few ideas I had.  Granted, it has only been a couple of months, and I haven't become an internet sensation, but it has lasted longer than some of my endeavours.

Why the need to drag (kicking and screaming) some others into this?  I don't know.  It certainly wasn't intentional.  If someone mentions that they have seen my blog, I quickly tell them that they should make one too.  Barely before they can finish a sentence, I start planning their blog for them.  I ask them about titles, I give encouragement, I blather on and on about how easy it all is.  I must have a sickness.

This really isn't like me at all.  Most of what I do, I do by myself.  I took up some hobbies figuring I would meet people, that it would become social, but not that I would be out there trying to build a community.  I like to settle on the edge of the community, and slowly meet people.  I don't rush to the centre and demand attention. Hmmm?  I wonder what's really going on.

I guess blogging has made more of an impression on me than I realized.  I wonder if that means I will be accosting complete strangers on my commute, telling them to get on their smartphones right now and make a blog?  Hopefully, it won't go that far...but one never knows.

1 comment:

  1. Anthony, I know what you mean! I was really into blogging some time ago. It's like an addiction. Let me know if you start a blog on being an ESL teacher or something like that. Maybe we can turn it into a group blog... I would love to write about that as well. --Patricia

    ReplyDelete