Wednesday 17 October 2012

Comic Books, Prices and Priceless


Why do comic books have to cost so much money (and why do any books have to cost so much for that matter.  Shouldn't we be encouraging literacy instead of discouraging it?

I went to my local bookstore, and found myself looking at the latest comics as well as their repackaged (and now hardcover) versions.  I must say the art looks great, and the production seems pretty slick, but the price left me gasping for air.  Comics were about a dollar when I was growing up, but now they are closer to five dollars.

We live in a modern world, and you would think that the technology for printing and binding books would be much more advanced, and also cheaper.  As the price of comic books, and regular books for that matter, has increased over the last decade, I am left to conclude that this is indeed not true.

I guess I should look at it another way.  Maybe now creators, writers, artists, and all the other people involved in producing the books are making more money now.  Maybe this means that they can focus on a smaller number of books in order to survive.  This should me better quality, but probably not a better price.

I still like my comic books and I am a sucker for any superhero movie that hits the big screen.  I think the genre is largely untapped, and there is a lot of room to grow.  I am sure we can count on sequels to the Avengers, Iron man, Spiderman, and The Xmen.  There is also likely to be other major superhero movies, but I don't know which ones they are yet.

I would love to have a big collection of books, but that doesn't seem likely.  Both space and monetary considerations make this less likely than I thought in my past.  If I filled up the guest room with comics where would my family sleep when they were visiting?

 

3 comments:

  1. Anthony, what I will talk now it's nothing about the subject:

    you know the expression "i'm loving it" from mcDonald's, right? a teacher from LSC told me that it's wrong to say 'loving', she said it doesn't exists and mcDonald's are "educating wrong" the people. That it's true? that doesn't exists the expression or word "loving"?
    it's a cruel doubt of mine.

    and now, always when I open your blog it open a lot of banners and marketing windows... I don't know why.

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically, it is pretty uncommon to use the word love in the continuous form. McDonalds commercial is wrong, but easily understood all around the world.
    Occaisionally, it is possible to use loving, such as when you're doing something, and someone asks you if you are enjoying yourself. You could say "I'm loving this", but I love this would also be correct, and better.
    In some music, you can always hear phrases like loving you--Led Zeppelin has a song, "since I've been loving you"
    So, I hope that answered your questions.
    Sorry about the pop up ads. I was just trying to find a way to make money from this blog. If it really bothers you, I can cancel it--I was just waiting to see how, or if it makes any money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so, on the McDonalds slogan it's wrong? and the other examples you said are right?

    I hate pop ups, everybody hate... but if you are getting money with that, keep using, because I would like to get money too, and I understand you. Don't worry and no sorry, ok?

    ReplyDelete