Tuesday 11 December 2012

Japan and Things Japanese








 a collection of great Japanese magazines
I don't want people to think I have an unhealthy obsession with Japan.  However, after looking at my posts, I am forced to conclude that obsession is a pretty good word to describe the relationship between Japan and myself.

Before anyone starts jumping to conclusions, my obsession does not get anywhere near either cosplay or AKB48.  My obsession seems to take other forms...many other forms.


A fantastic (but sadly gone) magazine
Anyone who has been reading this blog had probably already concluded that Japan and things Japanese have a strong place in my life.  A lot of my hobbies and hobby equipment come from Japan.  This includes Tamiya and Fujimi model kits.  It also includes Japanese language learning materials.  On top of that, I love some Japanese sports like Sumo, or the Hanshin Tigers Baseball team.  Don't forget some of my trains and die-cast miniature cars.


This passion which borders on obsession has always been a big part of my life, and did not end with living there for several years.  It has survived at least five return visits and the whole plethora of experiences that go with them.  Though I don't live there, I keep several reminders of my time in Japan.


A list of the Sumo rankings
These reminders almost represent an inadvertent collection, but, in fact, aren't.  They represent a very conscious decision to keep these mementos around.  Some are classy, some are a little tacky, and some are just cardboard boxes that once had candy in them.  It is a collection whose only purpose is to make me smile at some fleeting memories.

I am sure I will continue to amass things from Japan (including the wonderful, wacky and weird) I only hope I can show some restraint.


delicious caramels


No comments:

Post a Comment