Monday 25 November 2013

Rummaging Through The Bookstore


I had a chance to look around the bookstore yesterday and I have a few observations I want to share with all you hobby people out there.  And, whereas I might whine about them gearing up for Christmas on my other blog, this will be a more positive blog.

The Gift of Literacy

I have to admit, shopping at a bookstore is one of my favourite things.  I don't do it as much as I used to because I generally take advantage of the wonderful library system we have in Ontario.  While I used to love having a whole library of books, I have moved so many times that I really don't need that huge library any longer.

Oddly enough, I have met so many interesting people in the bookstore over the years.  This includes my university bookstore, Kinokuniya in Japan, and the soon to be closed World's Largest Bookstore in Toronto.  Just yesterday, I met someone very interesting... but I digress.

I just wanted to say that books and things you can buy at the bookstore make fantastic gifts.

Just for Christmas

I noticed that there are a lot of interesting gift packs for Christmas.  I came across a catapult kit, a boomerang kit (I was sorely tempted....but then I would have to wait until spring.....but I am still tempted.  Besides it's orange.  I might be able to find it in the snow.  Besides, it might come back to me......) learn guitar kit.  The list is endless.

Add to that, there are so many interesting book sets.  The complete Calvin and Hobbes is now on sale in paperback for those of you who couldn't justify getting the hardcover version.  I saw so many interesting things that I want to go back today and spend more time looking around.  Maybe I will.  Maybe I will pick up the whole Ender's Game series just so I can watch the movie and not look like a complete newb.

If you're shopping, the bookstore is a good place.  Sadly, hobby books for trains, model cars and the like don't seem to get much shelf space in these stores.  I guess the hobby shops have sewn up that market, but that really isn't fair.  I would think that it would be easier for the hobby inclined to send anyone wanting to buy them a gift to the bookshop rather than the hobby shop.  For some, the hobby shop is a little intimidating.

Sorry for rambling, but I roamed around the bookstore, and now you've roamed around my thought process..... I am off to the bookstore to look around some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment