Monday 10 February 2014

Advice Overload


 
 
In my last blog I wrote about the dilemma of choosing between an e-tailer and a retailer.  I should let it be known that I purchased my darts from a retail store--a seemingly one person operation.  I bought less expensive darts than I planned as a result of talking to this person.  Yes, that's right, he undersold me.  I have never had that happen before.

One of the interesting things that the salesperson told me was to "beware of all the advice people want to give you." 

I have been thinking of that ever since.  Not because people have inundated me with information and "tips" on how to play better darts.  In fact, most people have been encouraging rather than discouraging.  Nobody has told me what to do.  If I want that kind of advice, I am going to have to ask for it.

However, the warning still holds true, but it needs to be modified.  Yes, I am sure lots of people will want to give me advice, but I also bring it upon myself.  By joining a darts chat room, I am sure I will get exposed to lots of "expert" opinions.  By searching our reviews of product, I will be exposed to lots of "expert" opinions.  I can only blame myself.

In my other hobbies, much the same thing happens.  When I wanted to get into RC cars, lots of people to me what to buy, or at least, what not to buy.  They were sure what wasn't good, but not as clear on what was good.  They had a lot of ideas on how I should spend my money.  Sadly, very few of them agreed, so I was left with lots of information and little direction.

Sometimes these differing opinions are good.  It is good to hear the voices that are debating in your head, actually do it live and in front of you.  It is so much easier to distinguish the truth from the lies, the plausible from the implausible, and the exaggeration from the cynicism.

The dart store owner's advice is good, but doesn't help us fight against our nature.  We do things that don't help us because we overestimate the need for information.  We seek it out, when we should be seeking out experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment