Saturday 2 August 2014

Back in the Saddle Again


Okay, I succumbed to tool lust.  I bought the bike repair stand.  I admit it.  And yes, I have been to several bike shops.  I probably don't need the big box of tools, because I have lots of other ones.

The good news is that I have so far resisted the urge to buy a new bike.  I used the bike stand to tune up my neglected bike.  So, I feel pretty good.

I even took the bike out today.  I realized three things. 

  1. I, in fact, do love riding.  It felt great to get the bike moving at a good speed.
  2. My cardio is terrible.  Despite losing some weight, I really need to up my cardiovascular training.  Fortunately, that was the reason for getting on the bike again in the first place.  Why go to the gym and get on an exercise bike when I can bike on an actual road.
  3. When you fall, or crash, it still hurts.  Yes, in my first bike ride in a couple of years, I had minor accident.  I was cutting through a catwalk that, rather than paved, consisted of rectangular concrete sidewalk patio stones (or something like that).  They had spread apart in the centre, leaving a gap just big enough for my front tire to find.  Escaping it resulted in a collision with a chain link fence, some scrapes, and a probable bruise.
On the plus side, I was rewarded with an encouraging number on the scale as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment